ACT Junior Squash
The ACT has a strong junior squash program with four squash clubs - Dickson, South Canberra, Vikings (Erindale) and Queanbeyan Leagues - providing coaching to junior players up to the age of 19. Players from the ACT and surrounding regions, of all levels of ability, are encouraged to participate in a friendly and supportive environment while developing squash and team skills, and good sportsmanship. Squash ACT runs two junior squash pennants during the year where children play for fun, fitness and friendship as well as improving their squash skills. The ACT also has an invitational junior squash squad that trains weekends during term-time and it is from this group that representatives are selected to compete and represent the ACT in the Australian Junior Championships every year. Squash ACT runs two tournaments a year, the ACT Junior Open in May and the Canberra Cup in November, with various other junior tournaments being run throughout the year by the various clubs.
Sports Development Officer: Head Coach, Participation and Performance
From Cambridgeshire in England, Tayla brings a wealth of knowledge, passion and experience to the ACT and surrounding regions. Tayla previously was the Head Coach at City of Peterborough Squash and Racketball Club, and in 2015 was awarded England Squash's National Young Coach of the Year. Having achieved a BA (Hons) in Psychology and Sport Studies, Tayla successfully completed her Masters in Performance Psychology in 2021.
Tayla brings to the game:
- The skills for developing players and a real passion for squash coaching,
- A positive and determined attitude to improving your squash game and building our great sport,
- A skill set that meets the needs of players of all ages and across a wide range of ability,
- Targeted activity-based opportunities, aimed at primary and high-school students, young adults and anyone wanting to "jump on court",
- Group and individual training opportunities, especially for those new to squash or wanting to develop their game to the next level,
- Opportunities to introduce friends, families and colleagues to squash,
- Plenty of ACT junior squad training sessions, camps and tournament opportunities,
- A big focus on local squash clubs, schools, holiday programs, and family and community groups.
You can get in touch with Tayla at [email protected]
Junior Squash Festival
The Junior Squash Festival is suitable for every junior across ACT and the surrounding regions, regardless of standard.
A vibrant and lively atmosphere ensures that juniors come together in a fun environment and establish a great junior community. The sessions are aimed at junior squash development, both on and off the court. Juniors take part in routines and structured or conditioned games, as well as other aspects such as fitness, strength and conditioning and extraneous skills (psychology, physiotherapy, nutrition etc).
- Sunday 15th May 2022 at Woden Squash Centre,
- Sunday 26th June 2022 at Woden Squash Centre,
- Sunday 7th August 2022 at Woden Squash Centre,
- Sunday 18th September 2022 at Woden Squash Centre,
- Sunday 6th November 2022 at Woden Squash Centre,
- Sunday 11th December 2022 at Woden Squash Centre (Christmas party themed).
Times: 10am until 3pm.
Cost: $50 for the day, $10 per additional sibling.
All juniors receive a free T-Shirt for attending!
Since starting in May 2022, we have seen over 80 juniors come through and engage in the Festival!